Time for a new defibrillator, however…

Hello everyone! It’s been a long while since I posted anything. Not much is new. I moved to Pennsylvania! I am no longer a Jersey girl! Well I am inside haha! Anyhow, it has been 7 years since I got my first ICD implanted. Last visit in the fall, said I still had plenty of battery. No shocks or cardiac arrests have happened so the battery is good and full. So we thought. About 10 days ago, it started beeping! Talk about a strange feeling when you realize something that is beeping and dying, is actually screwed into your heart! It looks like there is a malfunction in mine because it depleted so quickly and so low, that I have 28 days to get it replaced. From what I read, once it beeps there is about 3 to 6 months before it totally dies. Not with me! This has been expedited and they are not sure why. Well, here is the part that has complicated it all; I’m almost 3 months pregnant! No one wants to do surgery on a pregnant woman because of risk to the baby. And that’s exactly right, as my EP told me he WONT replace it now!! Hmm….Type 1, day and night, positive genetics and my father died an early death but let’s leave me without protection for months on end? That doesn’t sound like a plan that will work does it? I understand they want to protect my baby, but If I should die of cardiac arrest,then both of us go! That isn’t an option. I reached out to an EP I saw when I first moved to PA. I left his office because it was a farther distance from my house. However, he will be the one to save the day because he is willing to work around the pregnancy and get me the protection the baby and I need. I have yet to have my appointment with him to go over options with anaesthesia and such, but either way he has a solution. That should be very soon. This should all be wrapped up within a month. I will touch base with all my readers to let you know how it works out, how it was done, the surgery, etc! Remember, the whole point of my blog is more like an online diary. I tell you my experiences, which may or many not be the same as yours. But it’s nice when someone shares their journey so you know you are not alone.And yes, my email is still BrugadaGirl@yahoo.com in case anyone needs to talk. God bless and I will be in touch 🙂

9 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Angie Lipinski
    Feb 25, 2020 @ 10:00:21

Can anyone suggest an anxiety and depression medication that is not on the avoid list for patients with Brugada? I was dx a year and a half ago and I’m finally reaching out for help. My therapist is recommending medication until I develop coping skills but I can’t pinpoint one that is ok

2. fabulousread
    Feb 17, 2020 @ 14:08:02

Hello from a UK based brugada girl, with Czech heart! First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! Wow! What a situation with the ICD:/ you go girl, don’t let them. Make sure you get the care you need 🌸 All the best

3. Pam Ferris
    Feb 16, 2020 @ 11:32:58

My daughter is also pregnant with her first. She’s had an issue with her beta blocker affecting the baby’s heart rate/growth. They switched her blocker and it seems to be improving. I hope your doctor’s can find a solution for you. Too bad they can’t just give you an external backup battery. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Anonymous
    Feb 16, 2020 @ 11:27:48

My daughter who also has a pacemaker/defibrillator is pregnant and due in March. She’s had some issues with her beta blocker affecting the baby’s growth. They switched her blocker and it seems a little better.
    I hope the doctors find a solution for your IED. Too bad they can’t give you an external backup battery. Keep us posted and good luck.

5. Jo Boyhan
    Feb 15, 2020 @ 03:32:23

Hi Alicia, Congratulations and the baby news and oh wow bad timing. Typical you can’t just be pregnant brugada has to throw a curve ball. Good luck with the op we all get how much you need the new difib. LJo

6. anne.bowyer@me.com
    Feb 13, 2020 @ 13:07:59

Hi there,Just read your email. Thanks for keeping